Monday, November 19, 2012

30 Days For 30 Dollars: Day 1


If you've been following my blog for a while, you may remember 30 Days For 30 Dollars from around this time last year.  The premise:  30 days of thrifty, crafty projects with a total budget of 30 dollars - yes, around one dollar a day. 
Well, I decided to bring it back this year, with a slightly different focus - gift giving.  With the holidays coming up, who doesn't want to stretch their budget a little further?  So, what kind of gifts can you make on a dollar  budget (that actually look like you spent more than a dollar)?  Well, read on . . .

(Btw, I'm not counting basic crafting supplies such as glues, papers, paints, fabrics, etc. as part of the budget. I figure most crafters are going to have some of that stuff on hand as I do.)



Day 1:  Gifts For Girls




This project began as  . . . 

99 cent elastic hair ties and buttons from my stash

Note:  You  need buttons that have this type of attachment.  And it needs to be big enough to fit the hair tie through.  My pink button was too small so I ended up swapping it out for a different one.

To make these, I followed this tutorial from DreamPatch.  So easy!

But what's a gift without a pretty presentation?

To create the packaging, I traced the original packaging onto a piece of paper board (like a cereal box) and cut out.  Use a glue stick to attach a piece of pretty paper.  Let dry and then trim to size and shape.  Place hair ties on your new packaging.


Total spent:  $1.00 (for 18 hair ties so I could actually make a bunch more of these)

10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this idea! Thank you for sharing.
    =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love to see this series back yay!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely brilliant and easy-peasy! Thank you for sharing this tutorial:) xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just found your site. LOVE your ideas. So cute and affordable!!! Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. At first I thought you meant you swapped out the pink button. Instead you used a different elastic. Love pink, btw. I actually have some gorgeous hair accessories that the elastic had gone bad, I think that's why they were on clearance. Lol, I couldn't figure out how I was going to put new elastics in them, thank you, woo hoo!

    I also love collecting misc buttons, I have some that are white with a molded Art Nouveau face. I painted them with some pretty pink nail polish, paint would have probably been better, and wiped off the excess to bring out the features. I hope I have an extra one to do this project with.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are wonderful! These will work so well for me, since my new job will require me to have my hair put up.

    ReplyDelete