Thursday, November 15, 2012

Freezing Avocados: An Update


So if you've seen my previous post on freezing avocados,  you will know that I had great success with my first try (above photo).  I pulled my second batch of frozen avocados out of the freezer last night for guacamole, and had less than stellar results.  These avocados were kind of mushy, watery and had a weird texture.  I'm trying to figure out the difference between the two trials.  I have 2 theories:  a.)  the second batch of avocados were over-ripe when I froze them or b.)  I left them in the freezer for too long.
Has anyone tried this?  How did it turn out for you?
Can you help me figure out this mystery?

1 comment:

  1. There are different subtypes of Haas avocados and one type is thin skinned and shiny on the outside compared to the darker rougher ones. The shiny ones are also more watery inside. I'm guessing you may have frozen two different types.
    I've never heard of anyone freezing avocados, but that's just me. If you want them to last longer before ripening, don't put them in a paper bag in your cupboard. Just put them on the counter or window. If you want them to ripen, then brown bag them and place in a dark place.
    From Kim in the heart of avocado country.

    ReplyDelete