Friday, November 9, 2012

How To Keep Apple Slices From Browning: A Round-Up

First, I want to say THANKS to everyone who left book recommendations!  Can't wait to get started on some of them.  If you're looking for good book recommendations, click here and read through the comments sections - lots of good ideas!

And on to today's topic - how to keep apple slices from turning brown.  Turns out there are lots of ways to do it.  And it's so handy to have pre-sliced apples ready in the fridge!  So check out this round-up and pick your favorite (if you don't already have one)!


1.    My go-to method:  Pineapple juice
Slice apples, place in a tupperware and pour pineapple juice over.  I keep these small cans of pineapple juice on hand for this:
I then add enough water to cover the apples completely.  Place in fridge.  This will generally keep my apples fresh for about a week.


2.  Salted Water

This idea comes from My Crazy Blessed Life - items you already have in your kitchen, just salt and water.  I might try this so I don't have to keep buying pineapple juice


3. Soak in Soda

Muffin Tim Mom recommends soaking apple slices in Ginger Ale  for 10 min. to keep from browning or you can also try Sprite,  as recommended here


4.  Lemon Juice

I've heard that this works well but I've been hesitant to try it because the idea of lemony apples doesn't appeal to me.  But it should keep them from turning brown.


5.  The Apple Puzzle

No soaking required.  I'll admit, I tried this and didn't have much luck with it.  But that could just be me.  So if you want to give it a try, see the full details here.

Do you have a method that works for you?  Feel free to leave a comment and share!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the colected ideas! I will try the pineapple juice and the ginger ale as soon as I need to... ;)

    lg, lici

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sprite or 7-up work great! Just soak apples in it for 15-20 minutes or so and they won't brown. Had a party with a big tray of apple slices and they didn't brown at all. Doesn't really effect the taste either.

    ReplyDelete