Monday, November 12, 2012

Turtleneck to Boatneck Refashion


Hating things that are too tight or high on my neck, I don't wear turtlenecks, not even "mock" turtlenecks.  So the neckline on this thrifted horrible 80's dress (complete with shoulder pads) was definitely going to have to be changed. After removing the shoulder pads, of course, I changed it to a boatneck.  It's really pretty easy - here's how:

1.  I used my largest serving platter as a pattern for my new neckline
2.  Trace new neckline with a pencil or dressmaker's pencil.
3.  Cut out new neckline along the marked line.

For the next step, you will need double fold bias tape.

Open up bias tape and pin to the inside of the neckline, starting at the midpoint in the back.

When you have pinned all the way around, fold over your starting edge 1/4 of an inch, then lay your ending edge over and cut.  Pin in place.  This will give you a finished joining edge when your all done.

Stitch in place all around.


Flip bias tape over along the fold to the front side of the neckline and pin in place, covering your original stitch line.  You can see my now finished joining edge in the above photo.

Front, pinned in place
Stitch front edge down, sewing as close to the edge as you can.

Finished neckline!

I also hemmed the dress to above the knee.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this great idea!!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yay, I love it! Cute detail with the white biaistape :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute and updated!!! Love this!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'Great tutorial! Not long ago I re vamped a men's T-Shirt into a boat neck top for me. I love wearing it! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally awesome! Thanks for posting something with 'wrights'-is that what they are called? I was curious of their use and now that I've seen your post, I think I'll do some refashioning with 'em.
    http://etheea.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete