At the thrift store, this dress went into my cart, out of my cart, into my cart, out of my cart. And finally into my cart one last time. I knew I had an idea for this school marm-ish dress but whether or not I could actually get it to look like my vision was anything but certain. Luckily it turned out pretty much how I had hoped.
Here's what I did:
1. Detached the skirt from the bodice by unpicking the stitches
2. Took some length off of the botom of the skirt and added it to the waist to bring the waist down to my natural waist (it was kind of empire to begin with).
3. Added a few darts to the front for a fitted look
4. Reattached the skirt to the bodice, adding a few extra gathers as I went to adjust for the new, smaller waist.
5. Hem to desired length.