Friday, February 8, 2013

Jeans Frustrations

This post really has nothing to do with the normal things that I blog about and I don't know if anyone will even read it.  But I'm irritated.   I have some things to get off of my chest, and well, hey, I have access to a place where I can, I guess, write about whatever I want.  

So, here's the deal - I am SO FRUSTRATED with jean manufacturers, but namely, in this instance, The Gap.  I have several pairs of Gap jeans.  They have a few styles that seem to fit my body.  Now, here's what annoys me - I have Gap jeans in 4 entirely different sizes.  I have size 4, size 6, size 8, and size 10 currently in my closet and that currently fit.  I'm not talking about different sizes in your closet because you've gained/lost weight at some point.
(On a side note, I'm only sharing my jean sizes to illustrate a point.  Oh and I love those size 4's, the 10's not so much).

Ok, now 4 different sizes from the same manufacturer is just ridiculous!  I can understand that there may be some variance in sizing across brands (actually there's a huge variance across brands), but you would think within a brand things would be somewhat consistent.

But this isn't even the end of the craziness.  I finally thought I had figured out what sizes in what styles I wore within the Gap brand (went to the store and tried a ton on).  I was about a 4 in the Long and Lean, a 6 in the curvy, etc.  So when they had a huge online sale, thinking I knew what I was doing, I ordered 3 new pairs.  All 3 pairs were the same style and matched a style I already owned and liked, they were just different washes/colors.  Got them in the mail and only 1 pair fit!  The other 2 will be returned.

Can someone please explain this to me.  (Not that you can convince me that this is not insanity.)

Why can't jeans manufacturers just make it easy on us and at least make an effort to standardize things?   

But I guess if you're looking for a moral to this story, it really is true that the number means NOTHING!  (but I still like my size 4's better than those size 10's)

11 comments:

  1. I like your post. I have the same issue but with a different brand. My guess is it has to do with the country they are made in. I bought 2 pairs of jeans at the same time (same style, item #, 2 different rinses)tried one pair on, they fit, grabbed the other pair, and home - for some reason held them waist band to waist band across and one pair was 2" small in the waist. Looked at the inside tags to check the style number and they both had different countries of origin. /rant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same problem with 2 pair of jeans I bought from Rural King. They were the same style & marked the same size. One pair fit perfectly. The other pair I could not get them on. I finally thought to measure the waist. The pair that didn't fit was 2 inches smaller in the waist. I'm going to start taking a tape measure with me when I shop & I'm going to measure every pair of jeans before I buy them so I don't have that problem again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the jeans I own are different sizes, some are the same brand and different too. So far I haven't ordered jeans online yet because of this issue. I ALWAYS have to try them on. I have seen jeans I thought for sure would fit and sometimes I can't even get them past my thighs. *lol*It makes for a really fast try on in the dressing room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had the same problem at gap also. Except I noticed it with khakis. I was trying on the same style and same color and same everything and walked out of the store with 3 different sizes of the same pant that all fit the same way. (I needed three paid of khakis for a work uniform.) Lots of inconsistencies in their sizing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you should just cut off the tags and then not worry about which ones are the 4 or the 10's and just say that you are a 4 when they are cut out and sewn by someone who knows what they are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My sister used to work for the GAP when she was in college. She explained that the fabric is in a big stack when they cut the jeans. The pair on the top will be smaller and the pair on the bottom will be much larger... Not that this makes it ok, but at least it makes a little sense.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks all! Good to know I'm not the only one who has this problem.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This has always drove me crazy. Mens pants don't do this. They go by measurement of waist and length. They don't do this for women. The Man is trying to keep us down!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This problem isn't exclusive to pants. It happens in bras, blouses, shoes and untold other items. Manufacturers try to maximize profits, so some use very large stacks of fabric when they strike the pattern. Others use a smaller stack of fabric, so there is less distortion between the top and bottom layers, particularly in knits. Country of manufacture is usually your best indicator as to whether the fit will be somewhat consistent. Women seem to be affected more because of the lack of sizing standards: use of them is voluntary, not mandatory. This affects all clothing; men usually aren't as vocal about it (some don't even notice. They just buy what fits), but the same variance from brand to brand as well as within brands is evident. The greatest variance appears to be in clothing marked S, M, L, XL and larger. Since I've lost a significant amount of weight (143 lbs. & still losing), I tend to start with a size I'm pretty sure will be far too big, so when I find what I want, I don't feel down on myself because of a number.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can think of two explanations for this phenomenon
    1.It’s a conspiracy to get us to consume more.
    2.When fabric is cut out in the garment factories, Something similar to a band saw is used. Scores of layers of fabric are cut at one time. Due to flexibility in the blade the garment made from the top layer of fabric will be a different size than the garment made from the bottom layer.

    I learned this when I was working in a coat factory and ever since when I try on a garment, find that it doesn’t fit, I not only try it on in a different size but also check other garments in the same size.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting! I hate trying things on & bras are my biggest problem now. Companies "brand" themselves to appeal to certain types of ppl. For instance - Victoria's Secret sizes are inconsistent with all other brands. Brands do it to make you feel "sexier" or "skinnier". Some are honest and reliable (Jones New York/Banana Republic) I can definitely see the manufacturing process being a problem, but that many problems = find a new store! TIP: take a paper measuring tape

    ReplyDelete